Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2016

DO NOT piss me off

Recently, Saturday in fact, I posted what I thought would be a very popular selection, submitted to me by
one of my greatest submitters, Jon S....."The 40th Anniversary Edition" of the first Ramones album, with a vast galaxy of bonus material. here is what transpired afterwards: One "anonymous" reader commented that the recording quality of the set is poor (see comments, that one is still up, because if it is a legit complaint, I want to know about it, as I had not listened to it yet)......a couple people said it sounded fine, someone else said it was bad, hard to tell who is who since everyone commenting was "anonymous".....OK, I don't allow that kind of shit in my comments section, I've deleted the ones I think NEEDED deleted, but that shit is beside the point. "Anonymous" pissed of Jon S, who announced he would no longer be posting here.

I emailed Jon S to try to smooth things over, I don't know if it will help or not, but I will tell you this. If you piss of one of my team, to the point that he wishes to no longer contribute, then you PISS ME OFF. I am asking nicely, DO NOT act like an ass in the comments section, I've been through it before and it is not going to happen. I'm NOT going to disallow "anonymous" comments, BUT if I have to I will.......because THIS blog is great because of the people who submit INCREDIBLE material to it, not due to people who won't even attach a screen name to their comments.

As for the Ramones effort, I still have not had time to listen......BUT here are my thoughts. First of all, John S is one of my most respected contributors, and he, as WELL AS John N (another of my most respected contributors) both sent the set.......I posted Jon S's simply because I received it first, but I HIGHLY doubt that two contributors of this stature would BOTH send me a defective file.....if I research it and find something IS wrong with the posted edition, I will post the other one, see, a PLAN B!

Not only that, but I see that there are a lot of demos, mono mixes, stuff like that on the set, and it's the FUCKING RAMONES, it isn't Genesis or something.......what do you THINK a mono mix of an early Ramones song is going to sound like? Actually I can't comment on this, as I really HAVEN'T listenened yet, but that isn't the point. Let me spell the point out:

This takes a fucking good bit of work to do this, on a near daily basis, we get great music, new and old, to you folks......my team and I REALLY DO work hard to create quality posts, the kind you WONT find anywhere else......if for ANY reason you find them unsatisfactory, contact me, and if there is a tchnical issue, we'll see what we can do.......if it's just something you don't care for, for GODS SAKE skip it, there is plenty more shit here for you to investigate. Point being, we work hard on this shit, I know I do, and I know the rest of the team does as well.......why piss ANY ONE of us off, and risk lowering the quality of the blog?  Hey, do you know where I am at in my life? Fucking 54 years old getting divorced from my wife of 30 years, my son three hours away at college, do you think I need fucking drama over my fucking BLOG? I don't, trust me.......and if you "anonymous" comment makers can't play nice, I will shut this mitherfucker down in a heartbeat, I do NOT need to sort shit out because someone doesn't like something posted here, for whatever reason......for the record, NONE OF US are getting paid for this shit, we are (believe it or not) DOING IT FOR YOU........all we ever ask for is maybe a "thank you" or, even better, a contribution of your own.......but for God's sake, DON'T bitch about the posts......there is NOTHING TO GAIN, and EVERYTHING to lose, including the blog itself. I hope Jon S realizes that his work means a lot to 1000's of people, remember everything he has provided us with, those AMAZING comprehensive posts on Husker Du, The Replacements, Echo & the Bunnymen, Pavement, as well as those great posts on lesser known greats such as Hop Along and Car Seat Headrest........do you WANT to lose stuff like that? I fucking DON'T.......I've asked the man to reconsider, I hope he does, but if he doesn't, it's due to a single asshole who has no idea how to act when receiving something in exchange for nothing (in this case, LESS than nothing, given the moronic remarks).........

OK, here it is........this is how I feel. Jon S's work means  A LOT to me, as I have told him, you, and anyone else who will listen. RESPECT his hard work, or, if you must, IGNORE it......but do not fucking criticize him......he works hard, as we all do, to try to make this blog different and (hopefully) better than the others......I hope he continues to contribute, (he had talked about a mega-Sonic Youth post before, I'd love that!), but if he doesn't, its the fault of ONE anonymous asshole who is unappreciative and acts like a 14 year old.

If shit like this continues (and to be fair, in general, it has not been a HUGE problem of late), I will end this
fucking blog in a heartbeat. I usually work 2-3 hours a day on it, that's just ME, and if you don't think I could use that time for something else you are quite wrong.........Jon S, here is a public request from me, please don't stop posting, I apologize to you for the actions of morons who know no better (evidently).......

It is simple. Be COURTEOUS and GRATEFUL to the folks who submit here, they do a magnificent job,I've detailed that before, but they REALLY do, and if you don't appreciate that, you are in the wrong place.........I hope Jon S remains with us, if he doesn't, well, that's what happens when someone who is doing something for YOU is disrespected.

Think this over. I want this blog to continue......I really do.....I will not, however, wage a continuing battle with comment makers who are rude, inconsiderate, unappreciative, and childish.....I don't have to, and I won't. Keep the comments constructive, if there is a technical issue, be CERTAIN to let me know, but to simply bitch for the sake of bitching? No.....I simply don't have the time for that shit.

By the way, Cynthia Watros, who was so badass as Libby on "Lost" decorates this particular post. Thanks, Cynthia!

17 comments:

  1. I did not comment yesterday but I just downloaded this version and compared it to my last reissue which was a 22 track version (ending with the Blitzkrieg Bop single) and this latest version is definitely brick-walled and the compression does ruin what once was...your average listener might not care but anyone who knows better will have a problem with it.

    Whoever said it was a mess...well he's right.

    I don't know why anyone would take any of this personally unless you were the engineer and/or producer who did this to this classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Still haven't heard it, but please.......NO ONE here is paying a penny for anything.....and we who provide the material for this blog DO work hard on it, for, well, nothing.......if there is a technical issue, we'll see, and if so, I will replace it with John N's submission of the same albums, we'll see if it's better....MAYBE it won't be. Perhaps it's just mixed/engineered poorly, it happens......but Jon S has nothing to gain from posting it, he's only trying to do what I am always advocating.....SHARING good, and rare, music......SOMETIMES, it doesn't work out.......but we TRY, and we try seriously.....I'm going to listen to the Ramones thing tomorrow, and I will check John N's version of it as well.....maybe it's better. maybe not. But DO NOT disrespect ANY of my team members, when they are only trying to be good to YOU.....they really are. If an album sounds bad, WHAT ARE YOU OUT? Nothing....this is the issue. Be respectful, and, if there is an issue/problem, myself and my helpers will do our best to get it resolved. But don't act (not you personally) as though we are your damned employees, or as though we are public utilities, because, clearly, we are not......we are ALL in this for the same thing. To try to get some different music to an audience that desires it. If, at times, it doesn't exactly go as you would wish, take a deep breath. we are trying to do something GOOD here, something for the music loving WORLD, and if people are unappreciative, insulting, negative......well, why should we bother? I could make this blog private if I wanted to, but I never liked that when it was done before.....I (we) am (are) here to help out ALL the music lovers in the world, and ALL WE ASK is that they be courteous and polite. Honestly, ask yourself......are we asking too much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott, yeah there a few a-holes with a sense of entitlement floating around. Some Dickwads who think that everything should be handed to them a plate with a silver spoon & a pretty red ribbon tied round. I appreciate this blog immensely & would be wrecked if you disappeared. Don't let the fuckwits drive you away. If it becomes a big issue with anonymous Asshats then you should take the step of blocking anonymous comment & force everyone to come into light of day. Jon S, please don't go, come back people need you here. Don't let the force of darkness & entropy win-keep on fighting the good fight bringing musical illumination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Scott, yeah there a few a-holes with a sense of entitlement floating around. Some Dickwads who think that everything should be handed to them a plate with a silver spoon & a pretty red ribbon tied round. I appreciate this blog immensely & would be wrecked if you disappeared. Don't let the fuckwits drive you away. If it becomes a big issue with anonymous Asshats then you should take the step of blocking anonymous comment & force everyone to come into light of day. Jon S, please don't go, come back people need you here. Don't let the force of darkness & entropy win-keep on fighting the good fight bringing musical illumination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every few days I check your blog and have done religiously for the past year or so. The posts from you and your contributors both amaze me and open my eyes to artists I would never have heard of..which have resulted in me buying back catalogues on vinyl and CD. I can only thank you and your contributors for your hard work. Please continue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey--your blog is great--I'm here every day---I'm gonna check out Pill later---That Ramones post let me hear a few things that I never would have heard other wise--keep going

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't let someone anonymous dick stop you from posting here or anywhere.

    When something is less-than-perfect audio quality (i.e. low bitrate or audience recordings) its clearly noted in the post somewhere on here.

    I love the variety and frequency of posts on this site and hope it continues for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is amazing and wouldn't ever want it to stop! I've found so much music old and new, and completed collections of artists i already knew, through all you and your contributors work. But especially Jon S who seems to have very similar taste to me. Please don't leave us dude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is amazing and wouldn't ever want it to stop! I've found so much music old and new, and completed collections of artists i already knew, through all you and your contributors work. But especially Jon S who seems to have very similar taste to me. Please don't leave us dude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll never understand the asshole dickishness of some people, who think they're OWED this shit that you and your contributors do FOR FREE and for the fun of it -- there's only a mild overlap in your taste and mine but I always check your blog, and when there's something I like, I'm grateful, and when there isn't, I move on....

    IMHO, the new edition of the Ramones album faithfully represents the way it was recorded, released and meant to be heard - if it's overly compressed by modern standards, so the fuck what, it was recorded 40 fucking years ago -- some cowardly shrimpdicks just like to complain on the internet as it makes them feel like big men....

    Scott and Jon and all other contributors - don't let the assholes get you down! You've got many many people out here who LOVE this blog and appreciate you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  11. Even if there was something wrong with the files, I don't think it's that hard to point it out politely and be grateful for the time and effort that all the contributors put into this most amazing site. Let's all act our ages here folks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still don't get it, do you?

      1) I don't have a personal stake in anything I post. I do it to share. Simple.

      2) If you don't like something I post, it's cool. Say whatever you like about it. I may agree or disagree but its not really not important, either way.

      3) Your being a dick to someone else who posted and said thanks made me mad. I don't ask or expect a "thank you" but it is appreciated. You insult anyone on this blog and you insult all of us.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete