Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The "Other Beatles" Part 5

This is the final installment of this great set created by a great friend of mine, Jose Kortozirkuito and his wonderful Spanish All-Star Blogging team, although, I will ADD a bonus of afterwards of a bunch of Beatles covers that I found, not going to be organized into albums, sorry, a "Labor of 'Like'", rather than of love perhaps, but as I've told ya before, please go to jose's blog (http://tommentonenlacuadra.blogspot.com) and compliment him on this great effort (and while you are there, check out the other great stuff he has there....by the way, ONCE AGAIN, I offer up a huge "GRACIAS" to Jose and his great team for compiling these, AND, mostly, for giving me permission to repost these on my site.......it's an honor and a privlege to be permited to do so.

Tonight's cover projects focus on the "Let It Be" album, and as well as the two "Past Masters" sets. The quality that has been evident thooughout the first four sets is carried on here, makin this one hell of a job, I've compared it once before to Brian's Dyaln Epic, it's that kind of monumnetal.

"The Other Let It Be" gives us another memory of David Bowie, with his "Across the Universe". Aretha Franklin turns in as good a version of the title track I've evr heard. Beth Orton's "Dig It" is a fine surprise, and Ike & Tina Turner's "Get Back" is frantic, they used to do it regularly live in thier shows.

"The Other Past Masters Volume 1" of course will have some overlap with some of the other sets, but is is MATERIAL overlap, anyway, NOT artist overlap, in other words, we get SECOND cover versions of some of the Beatles classics. Little Richards' (original) "Long Tall Sally" is a wild classic, The Inmates take on "I'll Get You" isn't too bad, I think the highlight may be the closing "I'm Down" from the Wailers......as always, feel free to comment on these yourself, let me know what you like/dislike, like the Dylan set, I have hardly found a track I would call "uninteresting", be they good or bad.

The last entry in Jose's effort (remember, I'm gonna  add a sort of "supplement" to this afterwards.), is "Past Masters Volume 2"...Well, I always liked Richie Havens version of "Lady Madonna", and Wilson Pickett had a large hit with his version of "Hey Jude". Al Green who could scorch ANY song he covered, owns "Get Back"....also, oddball entries from Whitesnake (!) and Scorpions (!!)......

Been a great set, had fun reposting it and maybe giving it  a bit more exposure....thanks again to Jose and his great team!

THE OTHER LET IT BE-01 R. DEAN TAYLOR-Two of Us/02 ST VINCENT-Dig a Pony/03 DAVID BOWIE-Across the Universe/04 MARC FORD-I, Me, Mine/05 BETH ORTON-Dig It/06 ARETHA FRANKLIN-Let It Be/07 CW STONEKING-Maggie Mae/08 5TH DIMENSION-I've Got a Feeling/09 WILLIE NELSON-One After 909/10 RAY CHARLES-The Long And Winding Road/11 MONTI BETON-For You Blue/12 IKE & TINA TURNER-Get back 

THE OTHER PAST MASTERS VOLUME 1-01 THE JOHNNY MANN SINGERS-Love Me Do/02 LOS GATOS NEGROS-Para Ti/03 THE SMITHEREENS-Thank You Girl/04 THE TYPHOONS-She Loves You/05 THE INMATES-I'll Get You/06 LOS XOCHIMILCAS-Quiero Estrechar Tu Mano/07 MONALISA TWINS-This Boy/08 DIE AMIGOS-Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand/09 THE BEATLES REVIVAL BAND-Sie Libt Dich/10 LITTLE RICHARD-Long Tall Sally/11 THE SHAGS-I Call Your Name/12 LARRY WILLIAMS-Slow Down/13 CARL PERKINS-Matchbox/14 THE KOPPYCATS-I Feel Fine/15 THE BEAT MIXERS-She's a Woman/16 LARRY WILLIAMS-Bad Boy/17 SCOTT MCCARL-Yes It Is/18 THE WAILERS-I'm Down


THE OTHER PAST MASTERS VOLUME 2-01 WHITESNAKE-Day Tripper/02 COLDPLAY-We Can Work It Out/03 THE BEATS-Paperback Writer/04 BABELAIN-Rain/05 RICHIE HAVENS-Lady Madonna/06 THE SOULFUL STRINGS-The Inner Light/07 WILSON PICKETT-Hey Jude/08 Jim Sturgess & Joe Anderson-Revolution /09 Al Green-Get back/10 PAOLO NUTINI-Don't Let Me Down/11 THE CALIFORNIA POPPY PICKERS-The Ballad of John and Yoko/12 GARY BROOKER-Old Brown Shoe/ 13 SCORPIONS-Across the Universe/14 LOS BERZAS-Letra B (Let it Be)/15 YELLOW MATTER CUSTARD-You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)


Well, I have to say, this is a great set compiled by Jose and friends......as a Beatles fan, as well as a fan of skilfuly crafted, homemade-cover projects, these I think are fantastic....I hope that someday I get the CHANCE to do similar projects on some of my fave albums (ONE of which you know is "Forever Changes", the others we'll keep secret for now until we see if I can construct a covers project out of them.


2 comments:

  1. OTHER LET IT BE
    http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/kfX2TJiJ/file.html

    OTHER PAST 1
    http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/amLFgeas/file.html

    OTHER PAST 2
    http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/GLUmPHJs/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Scott,thank you very much. Nice compilation.
    Jorge Morales,Chile

    ReplyDelete