Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2016

The Tomcats

With the onset of Strat-o-Matic baseball, as well as watching the NCAA Tournament, rather than working my aching fingers to the bone as I did yesterday with The Minutemen, I think we'll dip into the bullpen for some of John N's links (there is an endless supply trust me).......I've always thought this was an interesting album, although I never had a copy of it.....short version, this was a UK band that set up shop in Spain as a Spanish "answer" to the Rolling Stones, thus the liberal dose of so-so Stones covers......however, the highlights here for me are their frantic takes on some of the local Spanish hits of the time....in particular :"A Tu Vera" and "Pena Penita Pena" get some hardcore fuzzed out makeovers, as does perhaps the albums highlight, "Que Familia Mas Original".

As best as I can determine these guys never released a proper album, rather issuing a series of EP's in Spain....this collection, "Running at Shadows", collects, I think, everything they released.......all between 1965-66. Interestingly enough, the core of Tomcats went on to become late-60's psych legends July, whom I'd make a clever double post with if I could find it.........anyway, let me know what you think about this one, I like it a good bit, and thanks again to John N.


RUNNING AT SHADOWS-01 Macarenas/02 A Tu Vera/03 Seventh Son/04 Get Off My Cloud/05 Roadrunner/06 Walking/07 For Your Love/08 You Gotta Help/09 Paint It Black/10 Pena, Penita, Pena/11 Looking For My Baby/12 Satisfaction/3 Don't Let It Go/14 Cocaine/15 Monday Monday/16 It Ain't Right/17 Somebody Help Me/18 Running at the Shadows/19 La Neurastenia (19th Nervous Breakdown)/20 Que Familia Mas Original (Shame and Scandal in the Family)/21 Don't Ask For Me/22 Yesterday/23 Two Minds In Tune








1 comment: