Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2016

Jonder Presents Hypnolovewheel (Part 1)

(Scott)-Leave it to Jonder to continue sending me stuff I've never heard of, which, as I always say is a
WONDERFUL thing....I haven't had a chance to listen to these yet, but I will in the next few days, sounds good to me....for now I'll let him talk you through it though.
----------------------------------------------

A file sharer named Zuiop recently posted the debut Hypnolovewheel album (Turn! Turn! Burn!), which reminded me of how much I love this New York alternative rock band from the 80s/90s.    

As the critic Byron Coley wrote in Trouser Press, "Hypnolovewheel carry a kinda avant-garage ethos into all sorts of unexpected places. Refusing to be pinned down to any one stylistic board, the group wiggles around through a wide array of psychedelic pop, punk and garage-mush puddles... When they come up with something that's potentially too catchy, Dave Ramirez and Steve Hunking bury it under a small load of six-string noise."  That last sentence -- plus a comparison to the Embarrassment -- sold me on the band.

Someone (probably Coley) wrote in Spin, "They've taken 20 years of rock & roll history and broken every riff, drum roll, bassline and melody they could get their hands on, then reassembled the whole schlemiel with all the finess of a 3-year-old building a model airplane.  To Hypnolovewheel, all the world's a playpen and they're the brats who own the place."

Hypnolovewheel released five albums.  The band broke up around 1995.  

Turn! Turn! Burn! (1988) - tinyurl.com/glrz9gz
Candy Mantra (1990) - tinyurl.com/h9us38u
Space Mountain (1991) - tinyurl.com/h4qw284
Angel Food (1992) - tinyurl.com/zff3xzo
Altered States + Peace Of Mind EP (1993) - tinyurl.com/z7enohm

"Wow" music video:  youtu.be/7AaFCtfVojc
"I Dream Of Jeannie" video:  youtu.be/_BnXpVxf54I

3 comments:

  1. Glad you like em! Thanks to Zuiop for Turn Turn Burn. Candy Mantra is my vinyl rip, and the rest are from cd's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were really good live when I saw them open for Kitchens of Distinction once in a small club in Long Beach, CA -- don't have but one, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete