Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Iggy Pop's Early Solo LP's

I know Iggy has been at it forever, I don't think (not positive) that I've ever heard of anything post-new
values, and I DO know that I don't have any (likely COULD find them on the Bay but I'm not sure of what to expect......anyone with KNOWLEDGE of the post-(original) Stooges Iggy Pop stuff, let me know if it's worth my while), so today I will give you the four albums I DO know, and we'll take it from there.

After the Stooges imploded, Iggy recorded "Kill City" with James Williamson.....it's a rough sounding album, blusier than the previous Stooges classics, and I think in general somewhat underrated.....there are some other sounds on here, other than the standard guitar/bass/drums, there are, at various times, there are some keyboard parts, some sax, etc......if one thinks of this as a great lost Stooges album, one would be amiss, but to think of it as its own piece of work one would be fine.

In 1977 Iggy released "The Idiot", produced by David Bowie whose influence is all over the album. It's a polarizing album, many love it, many hate it......barely hard rocking at all, it does have some charming stuff ("Sister Midnight", "Nightclubbing", "Dum Dum Boys")......I find it to be just OK, but you gotta give the boy a point for trying.

"Lust For Life" was released the same year......Bowie produced again, and I personally find it the best of this cluster of albums.....the title track is so well known nowadays it is used in advertising (if you'd have told me THAT in 1977, I'd have asked the name of your dealer), but it really IS a good song. Better still is the lesser-known "Turn Blue", in particular the "Jesus......this is Iggy" portion of the track.

Finally my senior year in high school he released "New Values"....it's surprisingly good, with frantic tracks "I'm Bored", "Five Foot One", and "Billy Is a Runaway"......there are other good ones here, too, and if your familarity ends with "Lust for Life" or whatever, you may find this the most Stooges-like of this foursome (James Williamson produced).

OK Iggy has released about a zillion albums since, and as I said, I honestly don't recall ever hearing any of them....I checked the Bay, and there are a bunch of them there, but someone tell me which are good and which suck, please, and maybe we'll post a few more and I'll learn something. Until then........

KILL CITY-01 Kill City/02 Sell Your Love/03 Beyond the Law/04 I Got  Nothing/05 Johanna/06 Night
Theme/07 Night Theme (Reprise)/08 Consolation Prizes/09 No Sense of Crime/10 Lucky Monkeys/11 Master Charge

THE IDIOT-01 Sister Midnight/02 Nightclubbing/03 Funtime/04 Baby/05 China Girl/06 Dum Dum Boys/07 Tiny Girls/08 Mass Production

LUST FOR LIFE-01 Lust For Life/02 Sixteen/03 Some Weird Sin/04 The Passenger/05 Tonight/06 Success/07 Turn Blue/08 Neighborhood Threat/09 Fall In Love With Me

NEW VALUES-01 Tell Me a Story/02 New Values/03 Girls/04 I'm Bored/05 Don't Look Down/06 The Endless Sea/07 Five Foot One/08 How Do You Fix a Broken on part/09 Angel/10 Curiosity/11 African Man/12 Billy Is a Runaway

So here ya go.....and if anyone has advice about the many later releases, as I said, I can get them with a click but don't really want to in cases they suck.


13 comments:

  1. KILL
    http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/dFRBCXPZ/file.html

    LUST
    http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/gKLSDzVp/file.html

    IDIOT
    http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/YAHssLr5/file.html

    NEW
    http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/7LvIuIx2/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta listen to "Naughty Little Doggie" "Skull Ring" "Beat Em' Up" all fine additions to his catalog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love "Zombie Birdhouse" "Born To Die" Telluric Chaos"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ZOMBIE BIRDHOUSE is a must--a real mindf**k, really quite different from anything Herr Osterberg did between 1975-86 (or anytime, imho). Produced by Chris Stein (yes, Mr. Blondie), but somehow it's weirder than any other Iggy record. Also great is AMERICAN CEASAR (from 1993): Iggy had a really great (studio?) band, Iggy is chewing on a lot of personal issues (look at the song titles); overall a little too long w/some filler, but the great tracks--and there are quite a few--are mong Iggy's best. For me CEASAR is his last great record ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new album, Post Pop Depression is worth checking out. He teams up with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stoneage (etc). A lot of folk think it sounds like his early solo records. Zombie Birdhouse is nuts and worth checking out for that reason. American Caeser is good too. Soldier, Party, Instinct are pretty bad. Personally I love The Idiot, and I really love Kill City too. Nothing else like it in Iggy's ouvre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm a big fan of SOLDIER, mainly because I saw Iggy tour with that one and it was the first time I'd seen him live, and PARTY is pretty good. Again my view is affected because that album is a bit of a soundtrack to a pretty hedonistic time in my life. The first time listener might have a different view. I liked some of BLAH BLAH BLAH - 'Shades' is a gorgeous song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still like Instinct (pretty heavy and sloppy), Caesar(especially the title track), parts of Brick by Brick (entertaining tour around this one), and Post Pop Depression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of his records have been mentioned here, 'cos none of them lack at least a good moment or two. Zombie Birdhouse quite cool. Party quite weak. The more recent Avenue B, Beat'em Up, and Preliminaries are all strong. I was really into Beat'em Up for a while. It's relentless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the suggestions, here is what we will do.....I dl'd his whole discography from the bay.....Brian is going to bail me out by writing up the ones he likes best. After that, if he doesn't cover your favorite, feel free to write a review of it and I will post it, and I will also supply the file (all you need to god is write email up)....also, I forgot this...I used to have a single from iggy, "gimme some skin", fuckin bad ass...dont recall it being on an album....can anyone help with that, it's a true kickass track

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the suggestions, here is what we will do.....I dl'd his whole discography from the bay.....Brian is going to bail me out by writing up the ones he likes best. After that, if he doesn't cover your favorite, feel free to write a review of it and I will post it, and I will also supply the file (all you need to god is write email up)....also, I forgot this...I used to have a single from iggy, "gimme some skin", fuckin bad ass...dont recall it being on an album....can anyone help with that, it's a true kickass track

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Scott,
    For me: Zombie Birdhouse (strange but very different from his previous sounds,Iggy never sounds like it), and perhaps this 3 ones : American Caesar, Brick By Brick & Avenue B, not all tracks but... The rest (except those 4 you send and the last one Post Pop)is not very good and we can call it shit if we consider Iggys high level quality of work (one exception for people who like heavy sounds : Instinct)? The badest are : Party and the 90's LPs (Naughty Little Doggie" "Skull Ring" "Beat Em' Up").
    Conclusion 7 LP for people who want to hear Iggy: Kill city,Idiot,Lust for Life,New values, American Caesar, Zombie birdhouse,Post Pop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gimme some skin is on the awesome "I'm Sick of You" EP from the Raw Power era Iggy & The Stooges. Absolutely essential with "I Got a Right" and a bunch of other top-notch songs. I'll email it to you

    https://www.discogs.com/Iggy-And-The-Stooges-Im-Sick-Of-You/master/38255

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greg Shaw put out a lot of rare Stooges material in the late 70's on his Bomp label, including "I'm Sick Of You" and the first release of "Kill City".

    Soldier was my first Iggy album, and I still like it. Party was an attempt to hit the charts with "Pumpin' For Jill" but Iggy didn't really get any airplay until "Real Wild Child" and "Candy".

    Ivan Kral from the Patti Smith Group worked on Soldier and Party. Glen Matlock and Brian James (Damned) also played on Soldier.

    I saw Iggy on tour for Instinct (his metal album). Jane's Addiction opened for him. I like Instinct and Brick By Brick.

    Iggy tried for a more mature sound on Avenue B (his divorce record), Preliminaires (2009) and Apres (2012).

    I would LOVE to hear the soundtrack that Iggy and his drummer Toby Dammit did for Johnny Depp's film Brave, but the movie was a bomb and I don't think the soundtrack was released.

    ReplyDelete